The Support Act Wellbeing Helpline has been extended to offer a Manager Support Hotline, specifically tailored to support managers working across the performing arts industry.
The Manager Support Hotline Support is a consultative service for all arts leaders – managers, artistic directors, production managers, team leaders, supervisors, company managers, general managers and anything in between, who may need assistance when supporting performing arts workers. The Manager Support Hotline provides managers with the opportunity to speak confidentially to a senior counsellor from the Support Act Wellbeing Helpline.
How do I contact the Manager Support Hotline?
Simply call 1800 818 728 or email to arrange a consultation. You can also phone the Support Act Wellbeing Helpline number (1800 959 500) and ask for Manager Support. You can choose whether to speak with a counsellor on the day of calling the Hotline, or whether to make an appointment.
What sorts of things can I get support for?
The reasons that arts managers may choose to contact the Manager Support Hotline are complex and varied.
Some common examples include:
- Supporting a team member who is experiencing mental health problems
- Having conversations about performance issues
- Sharing difficult news with a team member
- Dealing with an organisational change process
- Supporting a team member impacted by grief or loss
- Managing the impact of a traumatic event
- Navigating team conflict
- Managing allegations of workplace bullying and/or harassment
What happens in a Manager Support Hotline Consultation?
A senior counsellor will discuss approaches and strategies to help you manage the issue, taking into account factors including:
- The unique or specific context of the work environment
- Steps already taken by the manager/team leader to address the issues
- Duty of care to the music or arts worker and potential risks to the organisation
- Best practice guidelines for managing the music or arts workers’ wellbeing
- Common behavioural patterns based on current psychological evidence
- The needs of both the organisation and the individual music or arts workers.
The aim is to empower you to maintain responsibility for the situation wherever possible. Often the Manager Support Hotline involves just one conversation. If needed, the counsellor can follow up with you and provide additional support. The Manager Support Hotline, like counselling, is a confidential service.
How is the Manager Support Hotline different from the Support Act Wellbeing Helpline?
The Manager Support Hotline provides individual coaching to you in your role as a manager. The Support Act Wellbeing Helpline provides counselling support to anyone who works in the live performance industry who is struggling with any aspect of their mental health or wellbeing. It can be contacted by calling 1800 959 500.